- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large Vidalia or sweet onion, finely diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced (about 1½ cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 2 lb. ground venison
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup amber beer
- 1 (28-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28-oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-oz.) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Toppings: shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, sour cream, finely chopped green onions
1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat 1 minute or until hot; add oil. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 8 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño; sauté 2 minutes or just until fragrant.
2. Add venison and next 4 ingredients, and cook, stirring often, 6 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Add beer, and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits from bottom of Dutch oven, 2 minutes.
3. Stir in tomato sauce and next 3 ingredients; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and serve with desired toppings.
Note: Tested with Dos Equis Amber.