Catherine McCord is making a delicious treat with seasonal fruit.
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored & diced (about 1/2 cup)
- ½ blueberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 box pie crust or your own homemade recipe pie crust
- 1 egg yolk for wash
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Toss the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Roll your pie crust to 1/4 inch thick, or if you are using pre-made pie crust, just unroll it on a parchment-lined or floured surface.
- Take one 4-inch round cookie cutter (or the top of a drinking glass) and cut out circles out of the pie crust.
- Place 2 teaspoons of the apple/blueberry mixture in the center of the circle.
- Brush some egg yolk on the edge of one side of half the circle.
- Bring both sides of the circle up to the center, similar to a taco, and seal both edges together.
- Lay the turnover on to its side and use the tines of a fork to seal the edges.
- Continue to make the remaining turnovers.
- Use a toothpick to poke 3-4 holes in the top of each turnover and brush with the yolk wash.*
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
*Fruit Pie Turnovers can be placed on baking sheets in the freezer for one hour and then placed in labeled containers for freezing up to 3 months. When ready to bake, bake for 20 minutes in oven at 425° F.