- 1 large apple, peeled, cored & diced (about 1/2 cup)
- ½ blueberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 box pie crust or your own homemade recipe pie crust
- 1 egg yolk for wash
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Toss the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
3. Roll your pie crust to 1/4 inch thick, or if you are using pre-made pie crust, just unroll it on a parchment-lined or floured surface.
4. Take one 4-inch round cookie cutter (or the top of a drinking glass) and cut out circles out of the pie crust.
5. Place 2 teaspoons of the apple/blueberry mixture in the center of the circle.
6. Brush some egg yolk on the edge of one side of half the circle.
7. Bring both sides of the circle up to the center, similar to a taco, and seal both edges together.
8. Lay the turnover on to its side and use the tines of a fork to seal the edges.
9. Continue to make the remaining turnovers.
10. Use a toothpick to poke 3-4 holes in the top of each turnover and brush with the yolk wash.*
11. Bake for 18 minutes.
12. Cool and serve.
*Fruit Pie Turnovers can be placed on baking sheets in the freezer for one hour and then placed in labeled containers for freezing up to 3 months. When ready to bake, bake for 20 minutes in oven at 425° F.