Ingredients for Chicken Brine
- 1qt Buttermilk
- 2T of Frank's hot sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1t cayenne pepper
- 4 chicken breasts
Ingredients for Batter
- 2 c of flour
- 1 1/2 T white pepper
- 1 1/2 T of garlic salt
- 1 1/2 T of onion powder
- 1 1/2 T of cracked pepper
- 1/8 c of Lawry's Seasoning Salt
Ingredients for Cheddar Biscuits
- 2 1/4 cups of Bisquick
- 2/3 c of whole milk
- 1 bag of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 t of garlic salt
- 1/2 t of Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 a stick of unsalted butter (set aside)
Directions for Brine
Wash chicken and cube into nuggets. Each breast should make about 10-12 nuggets. Put into a large bowl and pour brine mixture over nuggets. Let sit in fridge for 4-6 hours. (Overnight if you're feeling particularly fancy.)
Directions for Batter
1) Keep all of the above out to season to your liking. It should have a light orange/brown coloring.
2) Pour 36 oz of vegetable oil into a large, deep skillet. A cast iron works too. Turn on medium to low heat to slowly heat the oil. Careful to step up the temperature or you'll burn the oil. While that's heating, get your chicken ready for the flour bath.
3) Take chicken from your brine and dip it into the above mixture until the nugget is fully coated and drop them in the oil one by one once it's hot enough. You can see the oil bubble slightly from bottom or the easiest test it to drop a little bit of flour on top and see if it starts to fry or if it sinks to the bottom. Once it's hot, you're good to go. Fry nuggets, turning occasionally, until all sides are a light golden brown. You can always take one out and cut it open to test.
4) Put chicken on paper towels or a raised metal cookie rack with a sheet underneath to drain excess oil. Sprinkle Lawry's ever so lightly on top. Cover with a chicken blanket (any sort of towel).
5) Harry often serves with a side of Heinz hamburger dill pickles, and a generic jar of bread and butter pickles, honey, yellow mustard, and BBQ sauce (Flaming Dave's, Stubbs Honey BBQ sauce, or anything you like).
Directions for Cheddar Biscuits
1) Pour Bisquick into bowl. Use a fork to make sure it's all separated. Add milk and cheese and stir until relatively soft dough forms.
2) Grease a muffin tin. This makes 9-12 biscuits depending on how big you make them. It's a personal preference.
3) Bake on 450 for 8-10 minutes. Watch them to make sure they're just barely golden brown. When ready take out of oven and cut small slits into the biscuits. Soften butter completely (15 seconds on the microwave) and brush each biscuit thoroughly. Let sit for 1-2 minutes and repeat with the remainder of the butter. Sprinkle a little garlic salt on top once you're finished and enjoy.
4) Delicious with some honey and a piece of Momma T's chicken.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page