- 2 cups powdered sugar (7 oz)
- 2 cups almond meal (7 oz)
- 4 egg whites (4 ¾ oz)
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (2 ¼ oz)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Gel food color (optional)
- 8 oz. semisweet bar chocolate, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. minced candied orange
- 2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- Pulse powdered sugar and almond meal in a food processor until combined, 20 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg whites and salt on medium speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high; slowly add granulated sugar and beat to firm peaks, 2-3 minutes.
- Add vanilla & food color and increase speed to high; beat until whites are still and glossy, about 1 minute.
- Fold almond meal mixture into whites until combined, 35-40 turns with a rubber spatula. Batter should be thick and flow like lava.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a medium straight tip.
- Pipe 2-inch circles on baking sheets. Rap pan on counter 4 times to remove air bubbles; set aside 20 minutes so skins form.
- Bake cookies until set and very lightly browned, 20 minutes.
- Slide parchment with cookies onto a rack; cool completely, then peel from parchment.
- Pipe filling onto half of cookies; top with remaining cookies.
Orange-Chocolate Filling Recipe
- Microwave chocolate, candied orange, and orange juice until chocolate is almost melted, for 30 seconds; stir until smooth. Use spatula to mix; if not completely melted, microwave again for 15 seconds and mix again.
- Stir in food color.
- Chill filling until spreadable; stirring occasionally.
here to get your copy of Cristina's cookbook, "Big Bowl of Love." Get additional recipes from Cristina at
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at
pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter
Facebook. Plus, check out our
YouTube channel for backstage videos.