RED VELVET SUGAR COOKIE INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Cream butter, sugars, vanilla, red velvet emulsion, vinegar, and egg together in a stand mixer on medium speed for 1 minute.
2. Mix dry ingredients (cocoa powder, flour, pinch of salt, and baking powder) in a separate bowl. I use a whisk to blend the dry ingredients together.
3. Add dry ingredients to your wet ingredients. Mix until the cookie mix becomes a dough and it pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F.
5. Remove dough from bowl, wrap in plastic, and place in fridge for at least 15 minutes. If you flatten the dough, it gets colder quicker. This will allow your dough to firm up a bit for rolling and helps prevent spreading.
6. Flour your surface or use some cocoa powder to roll your cookies; most of the flour will bake off.
7. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick. Cut your cookies into desired shapes.
8. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 6 to 7 minutes or until the cookies puff up. These cookies will bake fast and they won’t brown since the cookie is deep red.
9. Once baked, let sit for 1 minute on the cookie sheet to firm up. Transfer to a cooling rack.
AMERICAN CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Cream your butter and shortening until well incorporated. Both must be at room temperature to prevent clumping.
2. Once creamed, add your vanilla. Mix again for 1 minute.
3. Sift your powdered sugar to make sure there are no clumps and add it in.
4. Place a towel over your mixer to prevent a powdered sugar storm.
5. Once mixed, slowly add in your heavy cream or milk, 1 tablespoon at a time (you can always add more but you can’t take it out). Continue to add MORE milk than the recipe states if it’s too thick. Temperature and humidity factor in how much more you will need.
6. Mix until smooth, about 1 minute on medium to high speed. Be sure not to overwhip your buttercream. DON’T panic—you won’t ruin it if it whips longer. Store unused buttercream in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to three months.
Master tip- add in 8oz of cream cheese to buttercream recipe for a delicious Valentine’s Day treat.
BOX OF CHOCOLATE COOKIE INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Chocolate box: Using a heart shaped cookie, pipe on buttercream with tip 5 or 10. Use my smooth buttercream technique (listed below).
a. Pipe on top of your smooth buttercream using Tip 5 with dark and light brown buttercream to make the chocolates. pipe on swirl design using tip 2 and pink/white buttercream.
2. Box top: Use a heart shaped cookie and tip 5 to outline and fill. Make a bow using white buttercream and also tip 5. Place a heart sprinkle on the center of the bow.
3. Chocolate: Pipe on buttercream using tip 5 and dark or light brown. Make pink or white swirls using tip 2.
SMOOTH BUTTERCREAM TECHNIQUE:
1. Pipe on buttercream with tip 12 to cover cookie.
2. Smooth buttercream on your cookie with angled spatula.
3. Dip angled spatula in hot water for 10 seconds and quickly dry.
4. Smooth buttercream with heated spatula until smooth. Repeat if needed.