Ingredients for the Ribeye Steaks
- Four 10-ounce ribeye steaks (each about 1/2-inch thick)
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for the seeded Mustard Steak Sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs light brown sugar
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs seeded mustard
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
Ingredients for Shaved Vegetable and Grilled Avocado Salad
- 2 ripe but firm Hass avocados, pitted and peeled, cut into quarters lengthwise
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves
- 2 red radishes, shaved into rounds on mandoline
- 2 baby carrots, shaved lengthwise on mandoline
Ingredients for the Salad Dressing
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche
- 3 tbs buttermilk
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
Directions for Ribeye Steaks
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1. Allow steaks to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat large grill pan over high heat.
3. Just before cooking, lightly coat steaks with oil and season both sides of steaks generously with salt and pepper.
4. Grill steaks until cooked to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare doneness.
5. Transfer steaks to rack set over baking sheet to rest for about 3 minutes.
6. Transfer steaks to carving board and slice the steaks diagonally across the grain and arrange steak slices on plates.
· Be generous with the seasoning: It’s impossible to season the inside of a steak, so seasoning the outside is really important. It’s also going to give you that gorgeous crust you’re looking for. Season the steaks with salt and pepper on both sides.
· Add olive oil, but don’t overdo it: You don’t need a lot of oil – I like to rub a little bit over the steaks, but some people prefer to brush it over the grill to prevent sticking.
· Let the grill do the work: For that caramelized crust, once you put the steak in the pan, don’t mess with it – it needs to stay in contact with the grill for at least a minute until it’s deep golden brown.
· Rest steaks on a rack – not on a plate: Rest the cooked steaks on a wire rack over a baking tray so they’re not sweating in their own juices. Don’t skip this step – it’s the key to a perfectly succulent and juicy steak.
Directions for the Seeded Mustard Steak Sauce
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 8 mins
Make-Ahead: Steak sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. Rewarm, covered, over low heat.
1. In small saucepan, combine tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, vinegar, butter, mustards, hot sauce, garlic, 1/3 cup water, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
2. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until hot and butter melts. Keep sauce warm
Directions for Salad and Dressing
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
1. Combine together.
Get more information about this episode >>