Ingredients for Dough
- 2 (1/4 oz) envelope active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk, warmed
- 2 extra large eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 3 1⁄2 sticks (1 3⁄4 cups) butter, softened
Ingredients for Egg Wash
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
Directions for Crab Filling
- 12 ounces cooked crab meat
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped chive
- 1 tablespoon chopped chervil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
1. Butter and flour two 9x5 inch standard loaf pans
2. In a big bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, milk, and 1⁄2 cup warm water. Let the yeast bloom for about 7 minutes. When it’s bubbly, whisk in the eggs, yolks, and salt. Add the flour and mix until sticky.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and begin to knead, slowly adding butter as you do. Keep extra flour around because your hands will get sticky. Knead until the dough is smooth and manageable. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 1⁄2 hours, or until doubled in size (Brioche is really good if you let the dough rise overnight in the fridge, before or after shaping. The flavor gets more complex and awesome. But it’s your call)
4. Punch the dough down, turn it out, and let it rest for about 15 minutes. Cut the dough in half and shape each piece into rectangles that will fit into the loaf pans. Place the dough in the pans, cover the pans with plastic wrap, and let them rise to just below the top of the pan.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 *F
6. Whisk the egg wash ingredients lightly in a small bowl. Gently brush the loaves with the egg wash.
7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the brioche looks super shiny and sounds hollow when tapped on the top.
8. Turn the loaves out of the pans and let them cool on a wire rack. Serve with generous amount of butter.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page