Aaron May combines two of his favorite things, donuts and pancakes, into one delicious dish.
Ingredients for the Donut Pancakes:
- 4 glazed yeast donuts, day old if possible
- ¼ cup AP flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
Ingredients for the Maple Bacon Sauce:
- 4 pieces bacon (about ¼ pound) minced
- 1 cup apple juice
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
Donut Pancakes with Maple Bacon Sauce - Home & Family
For the Donut Pancakes:
- In a 225 degree oven, bake donuts until all moisture has been released. Set aside and let chill to room temp.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter, reserve.
- In a spice grinder or food processor pulse baked donuts until all that is left is a fine powder, or “flour”, reserve. Mix donut “flour” with AP flour and add remaining fry ingredients.
- Beat egg, combine melted butter and remaining wet ingredients. Stir into dry ingredients.
- Mix until barely together.
- In a heavy bottom skillet over medium heat, add remaining butter and cook until bubbles form. Flip pancake and let cook additional 1-2 minutes or until done.
- Serve with maple bacon sauce.
For the Maple Bacon Sauce:
- Over medium heat in a heavy bottom pot, cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain fat and deglaze with ACV, then apple juice. Add maple syrup.
- Cook slowly until it comes together to nappè.