- freestanding mixer
- 2 x 20cm round springform tins
FOR THE STICKY TOFFEE CAKE:
- 200g / 7 oz pitted Medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g / 7 oz butter
- 200g / 1 cup light
- brown muscovado sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g / 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
FOR THE SALTED CARAMEL ICING:
- 200g / 1 cup light brown muscovado sugar
- 225g / 1 cup or 8 oz butter
- 75ml / ⅓ cup or 2.5 oz double cream
- 450g / 3 ⅔ cups icing sugar
- 1 heaped tsp sea salt
- 250g / 1 ⅛ cup or 8oz Mascarpone
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 25g / ¼ cup icing sugar, sifted
- 150g salted caramel sauce
- Edible gold stars
Cook’s notes: The dates can be replaced with figs here to give a different flavour if liked. Don’t over mix the mascarpone or it’ll become grainy.
Cook time: 50 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
2. Grease and line 2 x 20cm springform cake tins with parchment paper.
3. Place the dates and 300ml water in a pan and place over a medium high heat. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half and dates have softened. Allow to cool slightly. Blitz until smooth and stir through the bicarbonate of soda.
4. Cream together the butter and sugar in a stand-alone mixer until light and pale. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition until they’re incorporated followed by the date mixture and vanilla.
5. For the topping, put the brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the cream, stir through and allow to cool. Once cooled, stir in sea salt. Set aside ¼ of the caramel for garnishing.
6. Transfer the rest of the caramel to a stand-alone mixer with a whisk attachment and add the icing sugar. Whisk for 6-8 minutes or until smooth.
7. In a small bowl, mix together the mascarpone, vanilla and icing sugar until smooth.
8. Once the cakes have cooled, spread the mascarpone mix evenly over one half along with a portion of the salted caramel icing. Top with the other sponge.
9. Dollop the rest of the icing on top spreading down the sides to create an even coating around the cake. Using the remaining caramel, spread over the top of the cake and decorate with gold stars.