- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut oil; room temperature (not melted)
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Circle cookie-cutters in varying sizes
- Clear hard candies
- Pretzel rods
1. In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale in color.
3. Add in the coconut oil and mix well.
4. Stir in the eggs one at a time and mix until combined.
5. Mix in the vanilla.
6. Slowly add in the flour mixture and stir until completely mixed in. Be careful not to over mix.
7. Divide dough in half and wrap it in plastic wrap or in a plastic bag. Place wrapped dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
8. Roll out the dough on a floured surface using a rolling pin.
9. Cut out cookies in a large circle and use a smaller circle cookie cutter to cut the middle.
Tip: It helps to cut the middle circles when the large one is already on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper so that you don’t need to move it once the middle is cut
10. Place the pretzel rod under the circle; it helps to add a bit more dough to this area because you want the pretzel to be sandwiched between dough in order to create a handle
11. Crush the candies and add the crushed candies to the center of the circle.
12. Bake at 350° for about 10 minutes or until the hard candy has melted and the cookies are set. Make sure the melted candy reaches all parts of the circle.