- 4 ounces Slim Twist Pretzels
- 4 ounces Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (~1 ½ cups)
- 25-30 Pepperoni Slices (~ 2 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2-3 tablespoons Grated Parmesan Cheese
Ingredients for Homemade Turtles
- 7-8 ounces Pecan Halves
- 25 Caramel Squares, unwrapped (1⁄8oz./5g each)
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- 8 ounces Dark or Milk Chocolate, chopped
- Sea Salt for sprinkling
Recipe by Dan Kohler
Yield: ~4 servings
1. Heat oven to 350 ̊, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Arrange pretzels in scattered layer on baking sheet.
3. Sprinkle mozzarella over pretzels.
4. Place pepperoni slices over pretzels.
5. Sprinkle oregano on top of pepperoni.
6. Place in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the
pepperoni is crisp.
7. Remove from oven and top with grated parmesan, broil/bake for an additional 1-2
minutes until parmesan is golden (optional step).
Recipe by Dan Kohler
Yield: ~18 turtles
1. Heat oven to 350 ̊F. Spread pecan halves on baking tray and roast until fragrant and golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly coat with cooking oil spray.
3. Make small piles of toasted pecans (5-6 pecans per pile).
4. In medium microwave-safe bowl, add the caramels, half of the cream (reserve the
remainder), and heat on high power to melt. Heat in 30-second bursts, stirring the caramels and cream at each interval. If caramel is too thick after 3 minutes of heating/stirring, add a splash more cream and continue the process.
5. Add roughly 1⁄2 tablespoon caramel on top of each pecan pile, place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, until caramel is cool and smooth to the touch and no longer sticky.
6. In medium microwave-safe bowl, add chopped chocolate. Heat in 15-second increments until melted and smooth.
a. Alternatively, heat 1-2 inches of water in the bottom of a double boiler. Place 4 ounces of chocolate in the top of your double boiler (or a metal/glass bowl) and stir until melted and completely smooth. Remove chocolate vessel from top of boiler, and add remaining chocolate. Stir until mostly melted, then replace vessel back on top of boiler and continue stirring until completely smooth and shiny.
7. Spoon roughly ½ tablespoon chocolate on top of each pecan/caramel cluster.
8. Sprinkle sea salt on top of each turtle and allow candies to firm up in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving.