- 7 star anise pods
- 2 cloves
- 1 oz whole cinnamon
- Spice blend
- 3 lbs oxtail
- 3 oz ginger
- 1 lb large onion, kept whole
- ½ C Red Boat fish sauce
- 4 t sugar
- ½ lb napa cabbage or daikon
- water, to cover
- cilantro leaves
- green onions, thinly sliced
- white onions, thinly sliced, soaked in cold water for an hour
- serrano chilies, thinly sliced
- black pepper, ground
MAKE BEEF STOCK:
1. Prep oxtails:
- Blanch oxtails to rid of impurities (boil on high heat for 5-7 minutes)
- Drain and rinse 3 times in clean water, use your fingers to rub off an impurities clinging to the oxtail. Set aside.
2. Char aromatics over open flame: onions, ginger
3. Toast dried spices in a hot, dry skillet – you’ll know when it’s properly toasted by the aroma.
4. Put oxtail, aromatics, and dried spices in the Instant Pot. Add napa or daikon, sugar, ¼ C Red Boat fish sauce. Add water so that it just covers the ingredients.
5. Pressure for 45 minutes.
6. Remove oxtails and transfer to a colander set inside a bowl of ice water. Let soak in ice water for 15 minutes. Remove oxtails and let drain. Reserve the ice water.
7. Strain beef stock into another pot. Add ¼ C Red Boat fish sauce. Add reserved ice water to bring stock to 3 ½ QT. Bring back to a gentle boil and cook for 5 minutes, then take off heat.
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, then reduce to a very low simmer. Using a wire mesh strainer, blanch pho noodles for 20 seconds. Let drain and transfer to a soup bowl.
2. Add oxtail, green onions, white onions, and cilantro. Then ladle stock into bowl.
3. Serve with chilies, limes, and a small ramekin of black pepper with fresh squeezed lime juice.