- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 tablespoon zero calorie natural sweetener
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened, reduced fat shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
Recipe compliments of Devin Alexander from “You Can Have It!” Copyright 2018, American Diabetes Association. Visit www.devinalexander.com for more.
1. Combine the rolled oats, almond milk, sweetener, cocoa powder, and coconut in an 8 ounce jar or resealable plastic container. Refrigerate the oatmeal mixture for at least 6 hours (or up to 2 days).
2. Remove oatmeal from the refrigerator and top with the pecans just before enjoying.
Using 1 tablespoon of a stevia brown sugar blend (such as truvia brown sugar blend) in this recipe instead of pure stevia or another zero calorie natural sweetener makes it truly taste like a german chocolate treat. It’s yummy enough for dessert, but it also adds 5 g of sugar per serving. You can make a few servings with the brown sugar blend and keep them in the refrigerator for a few days to have on hand when a chocolate craving hits. For breakfast, I’d recommend sticking with a zero calorie natural sweetener.
Serving Size: About 3/4 Cup + 1 tablespoon pecans
Prep Time: 5 Minutes + refrigeration time
Cook Time: None
2 Starch, 1/2 Carbohydrate, 2 Fat
Per Serving: 280 calories, 12 g fat, 2.6 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 350 mg potassium, 37 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 1 g sugars, 9 g protein, 285 mg phosphorus