Chef David LeFevre is putting a spin on salmon that will wow you with color and flavor.
Winter Citrus Salmon
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs coriander
- 1 tbs fennel seed
ORANGE CRÈME FRAICHE:
- ½ Cara cara orange
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- 1 romanesco
- 1 cup blanched fresh peas
- 1 tbs marcona almonds, chopped
- ½ tsp mint, chiffonade
- ½ cara cara orange
- ¼ lemon
- 2 tbs olive oil
CALABRIAN CHILE GREMOLATA:
- 1 tbs calabrian chile, cleaned, seeds removed, chopped fine
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs calabrian chile oil
- 1 tbs parsley, chopped
- 1 tbs mint, chopped
- ½ tsp garlic, finely minced
- 1 cara cara orange
- Mint leaves
- Sea salt or fleur de sel
4 portions salmon, 5 ounces each
- Toast spices and grind in spice grinder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk crème fraiche with zest of 1 orange and juice of ½ orange. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Cut the florets off the Romanesco. In a food processor, pulse florets until broken down into grain-like texture. Set aside in shallow pan and pour salted boiling water over to cover. Let cook for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Strain and shock in ice water to stop the cooking process. Let drain completely, squeezing out excess water if needed.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of Romanesco rice (made in Step 3) with peas, almonds, and mint. Dress with juice of ½ orange, ¼ lemon, and olive oil. Season with salt.
- In a small bowl, combine finely chopped Calabrian chiles with the oils, herbs, and garlic. Season with salt and set aside.
- Cut skin off whole cara cara orange and slice into wheels.
- Season salmon with spice mix and salt. Grill to medium rare.
- On plate, spread 1 tbs of orange crème fraiche. Top with 3 tbs of Romanesco rice salad and 2-3 orange wheels. Place fish on top and finish with chile gremolata, mint leaves, and sea salt.