- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs coriander
- 1 tbs fennel seed
ORANGE CRÈME FRAICHE:
- ½ Cara cara orange
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- 1 romanesco
- 1 cup blanched fresh peas
- 1 tbs marcona almonds, chopped
- ½ tsp mint, chiffonade
- ½ cara cara orange
- ¼ lemon
- 2 tbs olive oil
CALABRIAN CHILE GREMOLATA:
- 1 tbs calabrian chile, cleaned, seeds removed, chopped fine
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs calabrian chile oil
- 1 tbs parsley, chopped
- 1 tbs mint, chopped
- ½ tsp garlic, finely minced
- 1 cara cara orange
- Mint leaves
- Sea salt or fleur de sel
4 portions salmon, 5 ounces each
1. Toast spices and grind in spice grinder. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk crème fraiche with zest of 1 orange and juice of ½ orange. Season with salt. Set aside.
3. Cut the florets off the Romanesco. In a food processor, pulse florets until broken down into grain-like texture. Set aside in shallow pan and pour salted boiling water over to cover. Let cook for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Strain and shock in ice water to stop the cooking process. Let drain completely, squeezing out excess water if needed.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of Romanesco rice (made in Step 3) with peas, almonds, and mint. Dress with juice of ½ orange, ¼ lemon, and olive oil. Season with salt.
5. In a small bowl, combine finely chopped Calabrian chiles with the oils, herbs, and garlic. Season with salt and set aside.
6. Cut skin off whole cara cara orange and slice into wheels.
7. Season salmon with spice mix and salt. Grill to medium rare.
8. On plate, spread 1 tbs of orange crème fraiche. Top with 3 tbs of Romanesco rice salad and 2-3 orange wheels. Place fish on top and finish with chile gremolata, mint leaves, and sea salt.