Chef David Codney's Yucatan spiced ham is a show-stopping center piece for the dinner table.
Cochinita Pibil Ham
- 1 spiral cut ham, smoked but not glazed
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package of achiote paste
- 4 sour oranges (if can’t get do 3 regular navel oranges and 2 limes)
- 6 big cloves garlic peeled
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 red onions cut in 1/8 wedges
- 2 tbslp ground cumin
- 1 tbslp ground coriander
- 1/2 of a pineapple
- 2 charred jalapeños
- One bunch cilantro
- 1/4 cup of 50/50 salt and pepper
- Add spices, garlic, juices of citrus, olive oil, salt and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth. Rub inside and all over the ham making sure to try and get marinade inside the cuts. Let sit overnight in a refrigerator uncovered.
- In a pyrex dish, stand the ham up and pour over any marinade left over the top. In the surrounding area in the pan, add the charred jalapeño, chunked pineapple, and wedges of red onion. Bake in an oven at 325˚ for about 2.5 hours, or until it reaches 165f.
- Serve by slicing the ham and pour over the tasty bits at the bottom of the pan. Garnish with cilantro.