Dark Chocolate Peppermint Brownie Ingredients:
• 11 ounces good quality dark chocolate (60-72%), coarsely chopped
• 2 sticks butter, cut into 1-inch cubes • 1 ½ cups sugar • ½ cup light brown sugar • 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour • 1 teaspoon salt • 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder • 5 large eggs, room temperature • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract • 1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Brownie Recipe:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter the sides and bottom of a glass or light colored metal 9x13x2 inch pan. Line the bottom with a sheet of parchment paper so that it overhangs slightly, about one inch, on the long sides of the pan, and butter the parchment.
- Over a double boiler melt the chopped chocolate and butter together and stir to completely combine. Turn off the heat but keep the bowl over the double boiler; add both sugars and whisk until completely combined. Remove the bowl from the pan and allow the mixture to come to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and cocoa powder.
- To the chocolate/butter mixture add three eggs and whisk until just combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk just to combine again. Stir in the vanilla and peppermint extract. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate. Using a spatula fold the dry ingredients into the wet until there is just a trace amount of the flour mixture still visible.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top with your spatula. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. The brownies are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool the brownies completely before topping with ganache.
Peppermint Ganache Ingredients:
• 6 ounces dark chocolate (60-72%), chopped coarsely
• ½ cup heavy cream • 1 teaspoon peppermint extract • ½ cup crushed peppermint candies or crushed candy canes
- Place the chopped chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl.
- Place the cream in a saucepan over medium heat and bring just to a boil (bubbles will form around the edge of the pan).
- Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and let sit for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the peppermint extract and whisk to incorporate.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the cooled brownies and use an offset spatula to spread into an even layer.
- Wait about a minute or two then sprinkle crushed candies over the ganache.
- Refrigerate for five to ten minutes to set the ganache.
- When the brownies are completely set, use a small paring knife to release the brownies from the sides of the pan and pull straight up on the parchment to loosen, then place on a cutting board and remove the parchment. Place the brownies in the freezer for 30 minutes (this will make them easier to cut).
- Use a hot sharp knife to cut and serve the brownies.
For more information about "Baked" go to bakednyc.com. And make sure you visit Home & Family on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv.