Ingredients for Macaroons
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Optional Items for Toppings and Variations
- Milk or Dark Chocolate Bar
- Hershey’s Kisses
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- Maraschino Cherries
DIRECTIONS FOR MACAROONS
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites and sugar until foamy.
3. Add coconut, vanilla, and salt. Mix well to combine.
4. Form coconut mixture into 1 1/2 tablespoonful mounds; place on parchment-lined baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
5. Bake until golden brown, 16 to 17 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cool on a wire rack.
DIRECTIONS FOR ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS + VARIATIONS
DARK CHOCOLATE DIPPED / DRIZZLE
- If dipping/drizzling the macaroons in chocolate, melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at medium power, stopping and stirring at 30 second intervals, until just smooth and creamy.
- Dip the bottoms of the macaroons in the chocolate, letting any excess drip back into the bowl, and return to the lined baking sheets.
- If drizzling, use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over the cookies. OPTIONAL – add a whole almond on top of the cookie before drizzling.
- Place the macaroons in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
- Add ½ cup of rainbow sprinkles to the batter to make rainbow a.k.a. Funfetti macaroons
HERSHEY’S KISSES OR “CHERRY ON TOP”
- Before placing macaroons into the oven, make a little divet at the top of the mound and insert a Hershey’s Kiss or a ½ Maraschino Cherry