1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the nuts and pepitas together in a large bowl and spread them over two large cookie sheets.
3. Slide the trays into the oven and roast the nuts for 10-15 minutes, or until they are lightly toasted and fragrant.
4. When the nuts are finished with their first roasting, drop the oven temperature down to 250 degrees.
5. While the nuts are roasting (the first time), prepare the coating. In the bottom of a large bowl(you’ll be using this later to toss the nuts), whisk the egg whites until they are just frothy, no need make stiff or even soft peaks, just give them a bit of a whiz with a whisk.
6. Stir in all the dried spices, salt, pepper, thyme and orange zest, and whisk to combine.
7. Pour in the nuts, shallots, sesame seeds and dried cranberries and stir everything to combine. Use a couple of big spatulas or spoons and really dig under the nuts to stir up all the coating from the bottom.
8. Once everything is evenly coated, spread then uts back out onto the cookie sheets and slide them back into the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until they look dry. The nuts will still be warm and a bit sticky when they come out of the oven but this will all solidify as they cool.
9. Once the nuts are cool, break them up with clean hands and/or a spoon and set them out for your guests to devour!
Yield: 3 lbs. roasted Nuts
Prep. Time: ~15 minutes
Roasting Time: ~1 hour 15 minutes
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page