- 4 ounces pepperoni, cut into wedges and sliced crosswise
- 3/4 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 cups stemmed and coarsely chopped kale
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 pounds yellow squash
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 to 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast*
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- * Substitute Parmesan cheese for SCD.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the pepperoni and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Crumble the sausage and add it to the pot along with the kale and salt. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the sausage is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, trim the ends off of the squash and use a spiral slicer or julienne slicer to create noodles.
- Add the noodles to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Stir in the tomato paste, 1 tablespoon of the water, nutritional yeast, and oregano. Cover and continue cooking for 8 minutes, until the sauce is simmering and the noodles are soft. Add up to 2 more tablespoons of water if the sauce needs to be thinned further.
Check the sausage and pepperoni ingredients carefully to avoid sugars, nitrates, and other additives. Applegate brand makes a wonderful pepperoni and bulk organic sausage can be found at most health food stores.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.