Directions for Carrots
1. Slice the carrots in half lengthwise. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl with ice water. Blanch the carrots in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes. When they are cooked but still have some crunch, plunge them immediately into the ice water. This will stop the cooking process. When the carrots are cooled through, pat them dry with a towel and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the red miso. brown sugar, mirin, rice vinegar and fresh ginger. Stir the mixture until the sugar is dissolved. Add the carrots and stir until they are coated. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until the carrots are completely coated and heated through. Garnish with scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
Directions for the Nuts
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix all of the nuts in a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a small saucepot, melt the butter. Stir in the water, brown sugar, curry powder, salt, cumin and cayenne pepper over medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved, pour the mixture over the nuts and toss to coat.
4. Spread the nuts onto the prepared baking tray in a single layer and bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Remove the nuts from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet. Break up any large clumps.