YIELD: 8–10 SKEWERS
Recipe Courtesy Yaniv Cohen -- from his new cookbook, “My Spiced Kitchen”
-North African cuisine utilizes dried fruits in both savory and sweet dishes. I love to pair the gamy, earthy flavor of lamb with sweet dried fruit. In this recipe, the aromatic cumin and the sweetness of the prunes enhance and complement the lamb. Serve over rice and alongside a salad and you’ll have a quick, delicious meal.
1. Prepare the bamboo skewers by soaking them in water for 30 minutes. Preheat an outdoor grill to medium or heat a large, oiled skillet over medium heat.
2. In a small bowl, mix the cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
3. Brush the lamb cubes with olive oil and dust the spice mix on them.
4. Thread the spiced lamb and prunes onto the bamboo skewers, alternating between the two as you go.
5. Grill the skewers for 2 to 3 minutes on each side for medium, or 3 to 4 minutes for medium-well.
6. Serve over rice with a side of Israeli salad.
CHEF'S TIP: You can substitute smoked or spicy paprika for the sweet paprika if you’re looking for a slightly different taste.