Ingredients for turkey: (Serves 10)
- 1 ½cups Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice (do not discard lemon rinds)
- 1 (15-pound) free-range turkey
- 2 bunches fresh poultry herbs
- 2 to 3 cups chicken stock (or hot water)
Ingredients for Chive Gravy
- 5 cups of hot chicken broth
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- ⅓ cup fresh chives, minced
- alt and freshly ground cracked pepper, to taste
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- Pan juices from turkey with marinade
Directions for turkey:
- To make marinade, combine ingredients in a bowl. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- To make turkey, preheat oven to 350° F.
- Clean out cavity of the turkey and rinse well, inside and out. Pat dry and place turkey in a large roasting pan. Pour the marinade over the turkey.
- Tie turkey legs together and cover tips with foil. Stuff cavity of turkey with lemon rinds and one bunch of poultry herbs. Place the second bunch of herbs in the roasting pan. Place turkey breast-side up in roasting pan. Insert thermometer in the thickest part of the breast. Cover with foil and roast for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, add chicken stock (or hot water) to the bottom of the pan. Stir to make gravy for basting. Baste turkey and roast turkey (uncovered) another 30 minutes and repeat basting process. Continue basting every 15 minutes until the thermometer reaches 160–165° F, approximately 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove turkey from oven and place on cutting board. Cover turkey well with foil to keep warm. Let it rest 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
- Keep the roasting pan with the pan juices to make chive gravy.
Directions for gravy:
- Skim the fat from the Turkey with Marinade pan juices and discard. Scrape the bottom and sides of the pan with a wooden spoon to release the cooked bits. Add 1 cup of chicken broth, strain into a sauce pan, and add the rest of the chicken broth. Bring to a gentle boil.
- In a separate sauce pan, combine 1 ladle of the hot chicken broth and cornstarch. Stir until lumps are gone and then pour back into stock pot. Repeat five or six times until gravy has reached your desired thickness. Add dry sherry and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chives and pomegranate seeds.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.