- 1 large white onion, quartered
- 1 small carrot, cut into four pieces
- 1 celery rib, cut into four pieces
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1½ cups water plus additional as needed
- 1 pound pappardelle or your favorite pasta
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh basil
8 to 10 Servings
Have all your ingredients ready to go.
- In a food processor, pulse to chop the onion into small pieces. Set aside.
- Pulse to chop the carrot and celery into small pieces. Set aside.
- Heat a saucepan on medium-high until hot. Add the olive oil and heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions, reduce heat to medium, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrot and celery and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and ground pork, breaking up the meat as much as you can. Sprinkle on the salt and pour in the milk, continuing to break up the meat. Cook, reducing the milk until the meat starts to sizzle (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Add the wine and mix well. Continue to cook, reducing the wine by half. Reduce heat to a simmer and add tomato paste. Stir in completely and keep mixing for at least 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree, sugar, and water. Mix well. Cover and simmer on very low heat for 1 hour, stirring often.
- If you feel the sauce is getting too thick, add more water ¼ cup at a time.
Baked Penne with Turkey Bolognese Recipe:
- Cook 1 pound penne pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- Heat up the turkey Bolognese sauce (recipe above).
- Add 2 cups fresh uncooked spinach to sauce.
- Add Al dente pasta to sauce and heat.
- Spray baking dish.
- Put half of pasta into dish.
- Add 1 cup of Ricotta mixed with ¼ cup parmesan -- and salt, pepper, & pinch of nutmeg (grated or ground) -- use a tablespoon to drop it on top of the pasta.
- Top with remaining pasta.
- Add ½ cup parmesan on top.
- Add ½ cup breadcrumbs on top (toasted with 2 Tbsp butter).
- Bake 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees F until brown.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.