- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalepeno, diced (you can take seeds and ribs out if you want less heat)
- ¼ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and hand crushed
- 1 roasted red pepper, seeds removed sliced into strips
- 4 cups paella rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 generous pinch saffron threads
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 pound squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- ½ cups sweet peas, frozen and thawed
- Lemon wedges and parsley
- Sea Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Heat oil in a large, shallow skillet over medium heat. Sautee onion, garlic, jalapeno and parsley for 3-4 minutes. Add saffron and cook for 1 more minute.
- Then add tomatoes and cook until the mixture caramelizes a bit.
- Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains. Pour in the water and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks evenly.
- Add the clams tucking them into the rice. Give the paella a shake and let it simmer undisturbed for 15 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking add the shrimp and calamari. During the last 5 minutes of cooking add the calamari.
- When the paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy, turn up the heat to high for 1 minute, until you smell the rice toast at the bottom.
- Remove from heat and garnish with peas, parsley and lemon wedges.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.