- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalepeno, diced (you can take seeds and ribs out if you want less heat)
- ¼ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and hand crushed
- 1 roasted red pepper, seeds removed sliced into strips
- 4 cups paella rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 generous pinch saffron threads
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 pound squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- ½ cups sweet peas, frozen and thawed
- Lemon wedges and parsley
- Sea Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Heat oil in a large, shallow skillet over medium heat. Sautee onion, garlic, jalapeno and parsley for 3-4 minutes. Add saffron and cook for 1 more minute.
- Then add tomatoes and cook until the mixture caramelizes a bit.
- Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains. Pour in the water and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks evenly.
- Add the clams tucking them into the rice. Give the paella a shake and let it simmer undisturbed for 15 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking add the shrimp and calamari. During the last 5 minutes of cooking add the calamari.
- When the paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy, turn up the heat to high for 1 minute, until you smell the rice toast at the bottom.
- Remove from heat and garnish with peas, parsley and lemon wedges.
Valentine's Day Seafood Paella
Click here to get your copy of Cristina Ferrare's cookbook, "Big Bowl of Love." Get additional recipes from Cristina at cristinaferrarecooks.com.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.