6 servings Ingredients:
- 1 cup mayonnaise + 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro, loosely packed and chopped coarsely
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup Virginia peanuts
- 6 cups cabbage, shredded
Mix together mayonnaise, olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, kosher salt, cayenne pepper and peanuts. Pour it over the cabbage and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for one hour. The coleslaw can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days in an air tight container. It tastes even better the longer it chills.
SLOPPY JOE SANDWICHES
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1½ pounds dark turkey meat, ground
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup corn
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped small
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ cup water
- 4 slices Monterey Jack Cheese
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Turn the broiler to high. Heat a heavy bottom or cast iron skillet for one minute. Add the oil, onion, and scallions. Sauté for 3 minutes then add the turkey meat. Use a metal spatula to break the meat apart. Saute for 10 to 12 minutes or until the turkey starts to caramelize. Stir in ketchup, corn, beans, chipotle, jalapeño, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, and cumin. Add water, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Toast whole wheat buns lightly. Pull some of the bread out of the bottom to make a hole for the sloppy Joe to sit in.
- Spoon ½ cup each of sloppy Joe and pour it into the bottom of the buns. Top each with a slice of cheese. Place under the broiler for 15 to 20 seconds or until the cheese starts to melt. (Don't walk away from broiler.)
- Remove from the oven and place each sloppy Joe in an individual plate. Top with coleslaw then place the top of the bun on top!
Cristina Cooks Turkey Sloppy Joes
Get additional recipes from Cristina at www.cristinaferrarecooks.com.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.