- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
Yield: 6 servings.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the green pepper, onion and celery; cook and stir until tender.
- Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil; stir in rice.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Stir in beans; heat through.
Cristina Cooks Veggie Jambalaya
For More Great "Taste of Home" Recipes, go to www.tasteofhome.com.