Cristina Ferrare's Silky Marinara Sauce Ingredients:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 can (28 ounces each) chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. table salt
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves , rolled like a cigarette, then sliced thin (chiffonade)
Ingredients for Fabio's Gemelli Amatriciana:
- 1 lb Gemelli Pasta
- 1 lb Pancetta, small dice
- 1 small Red Onion, Diced
- 2 Serrano Chiles, deseeded, minced
- 1 cup White Wine
- 2 cups Marinara sauce, homemade is best (*Cristina’s Marinara recipe included)
- Extra virgin Olive Oil
- 15 leaves fresh Basil, torn
- ¼ cup Parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan, grated, optional
Cristina Ferrare's Silky Marinara Sauce Recipe:
- Heat a saucepan on medium heat. Add olive oil and garlic.
- Saute garlic until it starts to turn a golden color. Be careful not to burn the garlic, or your sauce will taste bitter. If this happens, discard and start again.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar, red pepper flakes.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes (For optional extra creaminess, stir 1 Tbsp. of unsalted butter into the sauce just before serving).
** SET MARINARA SAUCE ASIDE (will be used to make Fabio’s sauce below)
Fabio Viviani's Gemelli Amatriciana Recipe:
- In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. Remove and place on a sheet tray. Reserve Water for later use.
- Render pancetta in a large, nonstick pot on medium heat. Remove some of the fat and then add the next two ingredients. Cook for another 2 minutes, adjusting to high heat once the ingredients have been added. Season with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze with white wine and reduce by half. Add marinara sauce, bring to boil, and reduce to simmer for another 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Drop the pasta back in its cooking water to loosen it. Drain pasta well, toss with sauce and drizzle olive oil to finish the dish.
- Stir in herbs and garnish with grated Parmesan, if desired.
Fabio's cookbook, "Fabio's Italian Kitchen," is available at www.amazon.com.
For more information on the chef and to subscribe to his newsletter, "Fabio's Kitchen Academy," go to www.fabioviviani.com.
And for more great recipes from Cristina, go to: www.cristinaferrarecooks.com!