- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock, homemade or store-bought organic chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped roasted chicken breast
- ½ cup frozen baby peas
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cracked pepper
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
Corn Bread Crust
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg yolk, slightly beaten
- Boil the potatoes and carrots until tender, but not soft, and set aside.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray or coat lightly with butter.
- For the filling, heat a large saucepan until hot and add the oil, butter, and onions. Saute onions until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and mix.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock, whisking well with a wire whisk. Still using the whisk, cook the mixture over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken, peas, cooked potatoes and carrots, salt, pepper to taste, and Tabasco. Cook on medium heat until the mixture is heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn into the prepared casserole dish, spreading evenly. Pre-heat the oven to 400° F.
- For the crust, in a bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a small bowl, combine the milk, oil, and egg yolk. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until uniform, but a bit lumpy.
- Spoon the batter evenly over the filling. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 22 to 25 minutes.
- Place 12 ramekins on a baking sheet. Spray butter flavored cooking spray all over the insides and fill the ramekins three-quarters of the way up with the chicken mixture. Top with 2 tablespoons of the cornbread batter and spread to cover the filling.
- Bake at 400° F for 10 to 12 minutes or until the corn bread is puffed up and golden.
Get more great recipes from Cristina at www.cristinaferrarecooks.com.
And, make sure you follow us on Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.