Ingredients for Truffle Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup Shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Liquid Aminos
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup truffle oil
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
Ingredients for Chive Whipped Potatoes
- 8 Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz unsalted butter
- salt and peper to taste
- ½ cup chive oil (recipe below)
- ½ cup fresh chives, cut fine
Ingredients for Chive Oil
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 bunch fresh cut chives
- 4 whole scallions
- salt to taste
Ingredients for Mushroom Garnish
- 2 cups of shiitake mushrooms
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3T chopped shallots
- 1 T chopped garlic
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 cup haricot verts, blanched
- ½ cup diced and seeded tomato
Recipe Courtesy Chef Rick Moonen -- Perry’s Steakhouse & Grille
Instructions for the Truffle Vinaigrette:
1. Place shallots and chicken stock in a sauce pan and reduce liquid to ½ cup.
2. Add the vinegar, liquid aminos and season to taste.
3. While the stock is hot, in a blender, slowly add the oils while the motor is running constantly to emulsify.
4. Set over low heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
Instructions for the Chive Whipped Potatoes:
1. Put the potatoes in a sauce pot and cover with cold water.
2. Add salt and bring to a boil.
3. Cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Strain the water out of the pot and mash the potatoes with the cream, butter, and the salt and pepper.
5. Stir in the chive oil, cut chives and serve.
Instructions for the Chive Oil:
1. In a food processor, blend the oil, scallions and chives together.
2. Season to taste with salt.
3. Reserve the remainder in a plastic squeeze bottle, refrigerated.
Instructions for the Mushroom Garnish:
1. Saute the mushrooms in olive oil and butter.
2. Season with salt & pepper. Add shallots, garlic and thyme.
3. Saute until shallots and garlic turn translucent.
4. Add the haricot verts, combine and remove from heat.
5. Stir in the diced tomato and serve.
Instructions for the Red Snapper:
Two 7 ounce Gulf Wild Red Snapper filets. Skin on, pin bones removed. From a 2 pound fish.
1. Scale the fish, filet (leaving the skin on), and cut into 7 oz portions.
2. Dry the skin side of the filet on a clean food grade absorbent towel.
3. Flip over the dry filet so it is skin side up on a cooling rack.
4. Allow to air dry overnight to completely dry the skin out.
5. This allows for the crispiness magic to take place.
6 .Place a non-stick saute pan over very high heat.
7. When hot, add ½ tsp oil.
8. Season the filets with salt and pepper, brush each filet generously with butter (room
temperature) onto the skin side only.
9. Place the filet into the hot pan, butter side down, and brown for 2 minutes over high heat. Add more butter ( 2 -3Tbs.) and baste the fish as it finishes cooking in the pan.
10. Keep the skin side down the entire cooking time of 4 minutes.
11. Remove carefully and hold skin side up to crisp.
Mound chive whipped mashed potatoes in center of plate. Top with one Red Snapper filet, skin side up. Surround with truffle vinaigrette and shittake mushrooms mix. Top dish with crisp pommes paille (ultra thin shoestring potatoes).