Ingredients for Creole (Serves 4)
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 6 Tbsp. green onions (about 3), thinly sliced, divided
- 3 tsp. minced garlic, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Hefeweizen (wheat beer)
- ¾ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. herbes de Provence
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp. paprika
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, cored and diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1½ pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
Ingredients for Cheese Grits
- ¾ cups quick-cooking grits
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ¾ cup grated sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- Pinch white pepper
Directions (Total time: 40 minutes)
1. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a small saucepan. Add 2 Tbsp. green onion and 1 tsp. garlic and cook over low heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add beer and Worcestershire sauce and increase heat to medium-high. Boil to reduce sauce to 1 cup, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, combine cumin, herbes de Provence, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, and ground black pepper. Set aside.
In a large sauté pan, heat oil until shimmering. Add remaining 4 Tbsp. green onion, remaining 2 tsp. garlic, and green and red bell pepper. Sprinkle with spice mixture and sauté until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and sear on one side, about 1 minute. Flip shrimp and add reserved sauce, remaining 2 Tbsp. butter, and cream and bring to a simmer. When shrimp are pink on both sides, about 2 minutes, add spinach a handful at a time, stirring to coat with sauce. When spinach has wilted, remove pan from heat, stir in lemon juice, and serve immediately over Cheddar grits.
Directions for Cheese Grits
Bring 3 cups water to a boil. Whisk in grits, lower heat to simmer, and cover, stirring occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream, butter, cheese, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately or cover to keep warm.