Nutritionist Ashley Walter Pettit is making a calorie-conscience delicious alfredo dish with the sweet taste of pumpkin.
Creamy Pumpkin Alfredo
Dinner, Main, Pasta
- Spiralized Zucchini Noodles (“zoodles”) – can be store-bought so you do not need a spiralizer
- Spaghetti Squash “Noodles” – cut a spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds, brush it with olive oil, and bake it for roughly 40-45 minutes
- Whole Wheat Penne Pasta or Quinoa Noodles – cooked according to the package
- Shirataki noodles (tofu + yam-based) – no-cook option! Simply rinse and use!
- 2 TB butter, - I use Earth Balance avocado spread
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 TB sage leaves, chopped
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
Protein Topper Options:
- 3-4 oz. per pasta serving
- Simply grilled skinless, boneless chicken breast (cut into 1-inch slices) or rotisserie chicken without the skin if you don’t have time to cook proteins.
- Pan-sautéed shrimp
- Baked wild salmon fillet
- First prepare the noodles according to the directions.
- In a medium size skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the pumpkin and milk. Whisk to combine. Add in the grated parmesan, chopped sage leaves, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Continue to cook the sauce over low heat until the pasta is done cooking. Make sure to stir constantly so as to not burn the bottom of the sauce.
- When the pasta is al dente, combine the pasta, sauce and preferred protein toppers. Toss to combine. Serve warm, garnish with additional fresh sage leaves.