Chef Katsuji Tanabe is back to show off a light take on refreshing taquitos!
- 1 large cantaloupe
- 1 16 oz crab meat
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- Half of a habanero, seeds removed, minced (use gloves to do this)
- 1.5 Tablespoons ﬁnely chopped chives
- 1/4-1/3, cup left over cantaloupe scraps, chopped small
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro leaves and ﬂowers for garnish
- Marigolds for garnish (pulled petals)
Ingredients for the Fennel and Habanero:
- 1/2 cup fennel shaved thin on mandoline
- Half a habanero, seeds removed and sliced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- A few peppercorns
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- Juice of one lime
Ingredients for Chive Oil:
- 1 bunch of chives
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
Serves 4 people as a light appetizer
- Rinse the outside of the cantaloupe well.
- Cut off top and bottom of melon to make a stable base.
- With a sharp knife- Starting at the top shave off the skin as you follow the curve around to the bottom.
- Repeat this step until all the skin has been removed.
- With a mandoline shave thin slices of the melon to get skins you will use to wrap around the crab salad (like taquitos)
- Place skins on a wire rack and sprinkle a touch of both salt and sugar, this will pull out the water and make them pliable enough to be rolled.
Directions for the Crab Salad:
- Make sure crab is clean and free of any shell bits.
- I use gloves and with a strainer over a bowl and pick though it and then squeeze it to get any excess moisture out.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix until desired consistency, taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Directions for the Pickled fennel and habanero:
- Heat water, sugar, salt, vinegar, bay leaf, and peppercorns until sugar is dissolved.
- Add lime juice, fennel and habanero.
- Place in a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use, preferably 1 hour or more.
- Can keep up to two weeks.
Directions for Chive Oil:
- Blanch chives in salted boiling water 10 seconds, remove and place in an ice bath.
- Once cool dry off with paper towel.
- Add a tablespoon of oil with chives and salt to blender.
- With blender running add remaining oil.
- Place in sealed container in fridge overnight.
- Strain and then place in a squirt bottle.
- Keep refrigerated when not in use.
- Place crab salad in middle of melon skins like you would a taquito.
- Roll and place seem side down in small individual casserole type dishes (white preferable).
- Top with pickled fennel, cilantro leaves and or ﬂowers and garnish with the chive oil.
Melon and Crab Taquitos - Home & Family
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.