Ingredients for Chicken Fried Steak
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of flour + 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cube steaks (or round steaks pounded thin with a meat tenderizer)
Ingredients for Gravy
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
DIrections for Country Fried Steak
1) Whisk flour and cornstarch , onion powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Set aside this will also be for your batter
3) Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until ripples begin to form.
4) Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Dredge one steak in the flour mixture, then the egg and then back in the flour mixture to coat.
5) Add the steak to the skillet. Repeat with the remaining steaks adding more oil as needed. Work in batches if necessary as to not overcrowd the pan. (Overcrowding will cause the steaks to steam and the coating will not get crisp.)
6) Cook the steaks for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Flip the steaks and continue cooking for an additional 4 minutes until golden.
7) Transfer the steaks to a cooling rack so oil can drain all while keeping crust crisp
Directions for Gravy
1) Add butter to the skillet and sprinkle with the remaining flour. Whisk together in the pan and cook until golden.
2) Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and milk until smooth and begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3) Serve the steaks immediately with the gravy.
CHeck out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page