- Tip 21
- Multiple star shaped cookies
- Green food coloring
- Sugar crystals
- Christmas candy
Ingredients for the Buttercream
- 1 cup salted sweet cream butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Crisco shortening, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 9 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or milk (plus more if too stiff)
1. Use tip 21 and attach it to your coupler on a bag of green buttercream (recipe follows).
2. On the largest star, pipe a rosette and 6 to 8 stars to fill up each point. Continue on each point until the 5 points on the star are piped.
3. Repeat step 2 on the second to largest star and stack onto the large star. You will want to offset each star you place so it begins to look like a tree.
4. Continue until you get all the stars frosted. Top will a small cookie angel or star. Place a tooth pick behind the angel to keep it from falling over.
5. Sprinkle with clear sugar crystals and embellish with Christmas candy for an over the top, beautiful cookie centerpiece.
FOR THE MARBLED SUGAR COOKIES:
1. Put on plastic gloves, flatten cookie dough, and add a couple drops of green food coloring.
2. Mix with hands and gently knead a couple times to mix color.
3. Roll out dough to at least 1/4-inch thickness.
4. Cut out cookies into 6 to 8 different sized stars and bake.
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
1. Cream your butter and shortening until well incorporated. Both must be at room temperature to prevent clumping.
2. Once creamed, add your vanilla. Mix again for 1 minute.
3. Sift your powdered sugar to make sure there are no clumps and add it in. Place a towel over your mixer to prevent a powdered sugar storm.
4. Once mixed, slowly add in your heavy cream or milk, 1 tablespoon at a time (you can always add more but you can’t take it out). Continue to add more than the recipe states if it’s too thick. Your climate and humidity will play a factor in how much cream you will need.
5. Mix until smooth, about 1 minute on medium to high speed. Be sure not to overwhip your buttercream. You want it nice and smooth.