- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 Tsp of Unsweetened Coconut Flakes for Topping
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Cups of cooked quinoa ( Cooked in Vegetable Broth)
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger (or 1 tsp ground)
- 1/2 cup green & red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halves
- 1/4 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup spinach
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 of juice of a lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp of green curry paste ( See below for Paste, made in stone mortar) •pinch cayenne or 1 dried red chili, diced (optional for heat)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup of veggie pea protein or chicken (optional)
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 2 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon of tomato paste
- Sea salt and black pepper
- handful of cilantro ( chopped) – for garnish
- coconut flakes – for garnish (optional)
- Thai peanuts – for garnish (optional)
Ingredients for Curry
- 1⁄2 tsp whole coriander seed (or powder)
- 1 tsp whole cumin seed (or powder)
- 1⁄2 tsp whole black peppercorns (or ground pepper)
- 3 small green chilies (I used serrano // stems + most seeds removed)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (stems and seeds removed // chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 stalks lemongrass (tips trimmed, halved, + chopped)
- 1 heaping Tbsp fresh sliced ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 6 stalks green onions (sliced // or sub 1/2 cup diced shallot per 6 stalks green onion)
- 1 Tbsp fresh turmeric (or sub 1 tsp ground turmeric per 1 Tbsp fresh)
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 medium lime, zested and juiced
- 2-3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
1. Make green curry paste ahead of time. Also cook quinoa in veggie broth and add in lemon grass for extra fragrance. Set aside.
2. Start with coconut oil/ghee in deep pan add in garlic, onion, and green curry paste. Cook for 3-4 minutes add in tomato paste, coconut milk. Add in pepper, fish sauce, choice of protein, lemon juice, mushrooms, green & red peppers, ginger, sprinkle cayenne.
3. Add in spinach and cherry tomatoes last, and serve with quinoa
4. Top with cilantro
Directions for Curry
1. If using whole coriander, cumin seeds, and black peppercorns, add to a small skillet and toast over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes, shaking / stirring occasionally, or until fragrant and slightly deeper in color. Be careful not to burn! If using powder, skip this step.
2. Once seeds are toasted, add to a mortar and pestle and loosely crush. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, slightly cool the seeds, add them to a sandwich bag, and crush with a rolling pin or a heavy pan. Set aside.
3. To a food processor (or blender with a narrow base), add green chilies, bell pepper, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, green onions (or shallot), coriander, cumin, black pepper, turmeric, sea salt, lemon juice, lime zest + juice, oil / water, and maple syrup (or another sweetener). Blend / mix until a paste forms, scraping sides down as needed. The lemongrass can be difficult to grind at first but give it time! It's fine.
4. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lime zest or juice for acidity, salt for saltiness, chilies for heat, maple syrup for sweetness, oil (or water) for creaminess, garlic for zing, ginger for brightness, or turmeric for more intense curry flavor.