Directions for Cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or use a nonstick pan.
2. Place coconut, pecans, dried fruits, and chocolate in a large bowl and toss well. Add sweetened condensed milk and mix with a wooden spoon just until moistened.
3. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter for each cookie onto the lined cookie sheet and gently flatten to circles of about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. (These cookies do not spread.)
4. Bake 10 minutes or until the coconut turns very pale golden, being careful not to over brown. Transfer to racks to cool.
5. Variation: Form cookie mixture into a log about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and wrap in parchment paper. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to bake. Slice 1/4-inch thick discs from the log and place on cookie sheets
Directions for Cafe De Olla
1. In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and anise.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to melt the sugar.
3. Stir in the coffee grounds, remove from heat, cover, and steep for 5 minutes.
4. In a small saucepan, warm the milk over medium-high heat and carefully whisk until frothy.
5. Strain the coffee through a fine sieve or a coffee filter into a pitcher.
6. Serve the coffee in tall glasses with the frothed milk in a pitcher alongside. When adding the milk, we prefer about half coffee and half milk.