Ingredients for Yellow Cake
- 2 ½ cups AP Flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ⅓ cups Sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons Vanilla
Ingredients for Caramel Frosting
- 1/3 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for Yellow Cake
1. Heat your oven to 350˚.
2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk sugar with eggs until light and frothy.
4. Whisk in vegetable oil until evenly combined.
5. Add milk and vanilla and continue to whisk until combined.
6. Add dry ingredient mixture to wet mixture, stir only until just combined. Do not over beat or mix at this point.
7. Pour into greased 9x13 baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes.
8. Let cake cool before frosting and slicing.
Directions for Caramel Frosting
1. Sprinkle 1/3 cup sugar in a shallow, heavy 3½-qt. Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until sugar is melted and syrup is light golden brown (sugar will clump). Remove from heat.
2. Stir together 1 Tbsp. flour and 2½ cups sugar in a large saucepan; add milk, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
3. Gradually pour about one-fourth hot milk mixture into caramelized sugar, stirring constantly; gradually stir in remaining hot milk mixture until smooth. (Mixture will lump, but continue stirring until smooth.)
4. Cover and cook over low heat 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium; uncover and cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reaches 238° (soft-ball stage, about 10 minutes). Add butter, stirring until blended. Remove from heat and let stand, without stirring, until temperature drops to 110° (about 1 hour).
5. Pour into bowl of heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Add vanilla, and beat at medium speed (setting 4) with whisk attachment until spreading consistency (about 20 minutes).