Chef Tim Hollingsworth is making a tasty chicken sandwich with a spicy kick.
- 4 ea 5 oz chicken breast
- 4 ea buns (brioche, potato, or any bun of your preference work)
- 1/2 ea Cabbage, sliced
- 1 bunch Cilantro, picked and chopped
- 1/2 each Red Onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- Vegetable Oil of choice for frying
- Prepared Chicken Breading Mix from recipe below
- Prepared Salsa Macha from recipe below
- Prepared Baja Crema from recipe below
- 2 cups AP Flour
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic or Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1 pinch Mustard Powder
- 1 fl oz Buttermilk
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 ea Lime, zested and juiced
- 1 cup Mexican Crema
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 ea Guajillo Chile
- 1 ea Chile Morita
- 1 ea Chile de Arbol
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 ea Garlic clove, crushed
- 1 dash Dried Mexican Oregano
- 2/3 cup Vegetable Oil
Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich - Home & Family
- Set up your breading station. 1 container of Breading Mix, 1 container of Buttermilk, and then another container of Breading Mix.
- Slightly flatten chicken breasts by pounding with a mallet or rolling pin.
- Dredge chicken in breading mixture, shake off excess, then dip into buttermilk, and then into the second dry mix container. Repeat with all chicken breasts. Set aside for 10 minutes or until flour begins to soak up mixture.
- Heat your oil in your deep fryer or large saucepot to 325 degrees. Fry chicken for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from fryer and drain off excess oil.
- Mix sliced cabbage, red onion, and cilantro in a medium sized mixing bowl. Dress with a bit of lime juice and salt. Toast buns if desired. Dress buns with Baja crema, add on the fried chicken breast and slaw mixture. Top with desired amount of salsa macha. Serve.
- Mix all dry ingredients together. Add in buttermilk until well combined.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. This can also be blended if preferred.
- Remove seeds from chilies (a small amount is ok if desired) and rough chop.
- Add 1/3 cup oil to a sauce pot until slightly heated, add in peanuts and cook until toasted. Add in garlic and sesame seeds. When all ingredients are beginning to turn golden brown, add in the chilies. Cook for about 30 more seconds, making sure nothing burns.
- Remove pot from heat and add in the remaining 1/3 cup oil.
- Cool at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Add in Apple Cider Vinegar, Oregano and Salt. Blend to desired consistency (peanuts should remain in pieces).