A hearty comfort food dish that will make for a cozy Christmas.
Pork, Sweet Pepper and Cabbage Stew
1 Hour (25 Minutes Active)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
- 1 pound green cabbage (1 small head), cored and cut into 1-inch ribbons
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 red bell pepper or orange bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus more to serve
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- In a large dutch oven, heat the oil until shimmering.
- Add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until charred in spots. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until it clings to the pot and browns.
- Add the pork, onion, bell pepper, honey, 2 cups water, and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve drizzled with additional oil and honey.
Optional garnish: chopped fresh oregano/ serve with garlicky braised greens and crusty bread.