- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
- 1 pound green cabbage (1 small head), cored and cut into 1-inch ribbons
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 red bell pepper or orange bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus more to serve
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
In a large dutch oven, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until charred in spots. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until it clings to the pot and browns. Add the pork, onion, bell pepper, honey, 2 cups water, and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve drizzled with additional oil and honey.
Optional garnish: chopped fresh oregano/ serve with garlicky braised greens and crusty bread.