Start to Finish: 40 minutes, plus soaking time
Makes about 18 Fritters
1. In a large bowl, combine the peas with 8 cups of water and 1 tablespoon salt. Soak at room temperature for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours.
2. With the peas still in soaking water, rub them together with your hands to release as many skins as possible. Pour off the water and loosened skins, then drain the peas in a colander and rinse well, you should have about 3 cups drained peas.
3. In a food processor, process 2 cups of the peas and 2 tablespoons water until nearly smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping the bowl as needed. Add the remaining peas and process until coarsely ground, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the baking powder, scallions, chilies and 2 teaspoons salt. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
4. Set a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet and line half of the rack with a triple layer of paper towels.
5. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high, heat the oil to 350 degrees f.
6. Working quickly, drop 8 heaping tablespoons of the bean mixture into the hot oil, then use a wide slotted spoon to flatten each mound into a round about ½ inch thick.
7. Cook until the bottoms are deep golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed to keep the oil at 350 degrees f.
8. Using 2 forks, flip each fritter and cook until the second sides are deep golden brown, another 1 to 2 minutes.
9. Using the slotted spoon, transfer the fritters to the paper towels and let drain for 20 to 30 seconds, then transfer to the other side of the wire rack.
10. Return the oil to 350 degrees f and repeat with the remaining bean mixture. Sprinkle the fritters with salt and serve with the dipping sauce.
Tomato-Curry Dipping Sauce
Start to finish: 10 minutes
Makes about ¾ cup
1. In a small skillet over medium, toast the curry powder, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Transfer to a small bowl and add the ketchup, sugar, lime juice, hot sauce and 3 tablespoons water. Whisk until the sugar dissolves, then taste and season with salt and pepper.