Ingredients for the Dough:
- 1 cup water (105 – 115 degrees)
- 2 packages active dry yeast plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups bread flour
Ingredients for the Cherry Christmas Tree:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ¼ cup candied red cherries
- ¼ cup candied green cherries
Ingredients for the Icing:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for the Dough:
- In a large electric mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Add dry milk, honey, butter, salt, eggs and half the bread flour. Blend together on low speed, then beat at medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Switch to bread hook and add rest of flour to make a soft dough that is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down.
- Place dough on a floured cloth. Divide dough into two equal parts. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
Directions for the Christmas Tree:
- Roll one part of the dough out into and 8x12-inch rectangle. Spread with butter, sprinkle sugar, nuts and cherries over butter evenly.
- Roll up like a jelly roll. Cut ½-inch slices.
- On a greased baking sheet place 1 slice near the top in the center of the baking sheet.
- Under it place 2 slices, under those, place 3 slices, under those, place 4 slices, and then in the center of those place 1 slice for the trunk of the tree.
- Cover, let rise in a warm place until double in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees until light golden brown (about 25 minutes).
- Remove from sheet and cool on a wire rack. Drizzle powdered sugar icing over tree.
Directions for the Icing:
- Combine the icing ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over the coffeecake.
- Garnish with additional chopped cherries.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.