- 7 oz. dried, mixed fruit, chopped
- ½ Granny Smith apple, cored, peeled, coarsely grated
- ½ cup dried currants
- ¼ cup bourbon
- Cooking oil spray, for greasing
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 6 oz. (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cups brioche breadcrumbs
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- 3 oz. toasted walnut pieces
- Serve with hard sauce, recipe below
Ingredients for the Hard Sauce
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. bourbon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1. Combine fruits and bourbon in a large bowl. Macerate, covered, overnight.
2. Lightly spray a 4-cup pudding steamer with non-stick spray. Line base and sides with five 2-inch wide strips of parchment paper.
3. Combine the fruit mixture with sugar, syrup, butter, eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix well. Sift the flour and cinnamon into the breadcrumb mixture. Stir in toasted walnuts. Combine and pour into prepared pudding steamer. Smooth over top with a spatula.
4. Cut a circular piece of parchment paper 1-inch larger than the circumference of your steamer. Crumple the parchment paper. Flatten out and cover the top of the pudding making sure the paper seals the edges. Seal the steamer tightly with foil.
5. Place a small, heatproof saucer (approx. 1 ½ inches) upside down in the center of a slow cooker. Place the pudding steamer on the saucer. Pour in enough cold water to come 3⁄4 of the way up the side of the steamer. Cover cooker tightly with two sheets of foil. Cover with lid.
6. Cook on high for 6 hours. Pudding is cooked when a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove pudding. Let stand for 30 minutes. Remove lid and foil. Invert the pudding onto a plate. Remove lining paper.
7. Serve warm pudding with Classic Hard Sauce
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE HARD SAUCE:
1. Cream the butter and powdered sugar together in a stand mixer. Scrape the sides down periodically.
2. Add the vanilla extract, bourbon and nutmeg. Scrape down the sides to be sure the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
3. Transfer the sauce into a bowl and serve immediately or cover in plastic until ready to serve.