Directions for Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray ¼ sheet pan with a nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and oil. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
3. Combine flour, cocoa powder and baking soda and salt, add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
4. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth.
5. Pour batter into the sheet pan, be sure the batter is even in the sheet pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool in freezer for approximately one hour before use.
Directions for Frosting:
1. In a medium bowl, cream together cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and strawberry extracts. Mix until fully combined and smooth. You may have to use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all ingredients are mixed well.
Directions to Make the Hearts:
1. Once the cake is cold, use different sized heart cut outs to make hearts (two of each size).
2. Pipe strawberry frosting in the inside of ONE of the cut outs and place the unfrosted cut out on top of the frosted cut out like a sandwich.
3. Cool again in freezer for at least one hour. Cake must be cold to successfully complete the next step.
4. While the cake is in the freezer, melt melting chocolate of any color and make sure it’s not too thick. You may use Crisco or melting crystals to liquify the chocolate enough that it pours easily.
5. Take the frozen cake and pour the chocolate over the heart shaped cake. You’ll want to put a cooling rack on top of parchment paper or a sheet pan to catch the excess chocolate.
6. Cool the chocolate heart in the freezer for another 10 minutes until chocolate is hardened.