Directions for Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 10-cup Bundt pan* with butter, and dust generously with cocoa to coat, tapping out excess.
2. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until butter turns a medium-brown color and has a nutty aroma, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat browned butter, buttermilk, eggs, espresso powder, 1 teaspoon (4 grams) almond extract, and vanilla at medium speed until smooth.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, 1 teaspoon
(3 grams) salt, and baking powder. Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on low speed, gradually add sugar mixture to butter mixture, beating until smooth. Pour half of batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with a spatula. Spoon Frangipane over batter, using the back of a spoon to spread evenly. Top with remaining batter, and smooth with a spatula.
5. Bake until risen and a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 55 to
60 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
6. In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, cream, remaining
½ teaspoon (2 grams) almond extract, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake. Garnish with toasted almonds, if desired.
*I used Nordic Ware’s Anniversary Bundt Pan.
Directions for Frangipane (Makes 1 1/3 cups)
1. In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until a smooth paste forms.