- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c butter or margarine softened
- 1 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries (about 48)
- 1 6 ounce package semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 c Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1) In a large bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
2) In mixer bowl beat together butter or margarine and sugar on low speed of electric mixer till fluffy.
3) Add egg and vanilla: beat well. Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture: beat till well blended.
4) Shape dough into 1 inch balls: place on uncreased cookie sheet.
5) Press down center of dough with thumb.
6) Drain maraschino cherries, reserving juice.
7) Place a cherry in the center of each cookie.
8) In small saucepan combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk: heat till chocolate is melted.
9) Stir in 4 teaspoons of reserved cherry juice.
10) Spoon about 1 tsp frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. (Frosting may be thinned with additional cherry juice if necessary).
11) Bake at 350 for about 10 mins or till done. Remove to wire rack: cool. Makes 49 cookies.