Ingredients for Cookies (Makes 24)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup or 2 sticks salted sweet cream butter
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp aluminum free baking powder
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Ingredients for American Crusting Buttercream (Makes 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup salted sweet cream butter
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 9 cups of confectioners’ powdered sugar (white powdered sugar)
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream or more as needed
Ingredients and Materials for Decorating
- Tips 12, 18, 233 and 47
- Easter sprinkles
- Bunny & chick sprinkles
- Brown, green and white food coloring
- Large Egg-shaped cookies and round cookies
- Shredded sweetened coconut
- Cadbury mini chocolate eggs
Directions for Cookies
1. Cream butter, brown sugar, vanilla, pinch of salt, and egg together in a stand mixer on medium speed for about 30 seconds to one minute.
2. Mix dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, and salt in separate bowl. I use a whisk to blend the dry ingredients together.
3. Add dry ingredients to your wet ingredients. Mix until the cookie mix becomes a dough and it pulls away from the sides of the bowl. It will seem a little dry but it will all come together.
4. Add in mini chocolate chips and mix again.
5. Remove dough from bowl and wrap in saran plastic, place in fridge for at least 15 minutes. If you flatten the dough it gets colder quickly. Preheat oven to 375 while your dough chills.
6. Flour your surface and roll dough out to ¼ inch thick. Cut your cookies out into desired shapes.
7. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 6-7 minutes or just when the cookie puffs up. These will brown faster than your regular sugar cookies.
8. Once baked, let sit for one minute on the cookie sheet to firm up.
9. Transfer to a cooling rack so they can cool completely.
Master Tip- I use salted sweet cream butter from Costco because it has the perfect balance of salt for my cookies. If you don’t have that, use unsalted butter and add ½ tsp to the wet ingredients.
Directions for American Crusting Buttercream
1. Cream your butter and shortening until well incorporated. Both must be at room temperature to prevent clumping.
2. Once creamed, add your vanilla. Mix again for a minute.
3. Sift your powdered sugar to make sure there are no clumps and add it in.
4. Place a towel over your mixer to prevent a powdered sugar storm.
5. Once mixed, slowly add in your heavy cream or milk one Tbsp at a time because you can always add more but you can't take it out. Continue to add more than the recipe states if it's too thick.
6. Mix until smooth, about 1 minute on medium to high speed. Be sure not to over-whip your buttercream. DON’T panic you won't ruin it if it whips longer. Store unused buttercream in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to three months.
Master Tip- I use salted sweet cream butter from Costco because it has the perfect balance of salt for my cookies. If you don’t have that, use unsalted butter and add ½ tsp to the creamed butter.
Directions for Decorating
1. Pipe handle around the top half with tip 18. Pipe basket weave with tip 47. Pipe with buttercream inside the basket with tip 12. Add green coconut (see below) and sprinkles. Add bunny & chick sprinkles
2. Green coconut- Add green food coloring into plastic bag, add in ½ cup of shredded sweetened coconut. Mix until coated and green.
Directions for Decorating Bird's Nest
1. Use tip 233 to pipe blown buttercream. Start in the center of the cookie with piping bag straight up and down. Pipe around in a circle and get wider as you go. Pipe three layers on the outside to build up the nest. Add three mini chocolate Cadbury eggs . Add bunny & chick sprinkles.