Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
This cake recipe is from
• 4 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• ¾ cups cake flour • ¼ teaspoon salt • ½ teaspoon baking soda • ⅛ teaspoon baking powder • 2 oz (½ stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature • ¾ cups granulated sugar • 1 large egg, at room temperature • ¼ cup strong coffee (or water) • ¼ cup whole or low-fat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 5″ x 2″ cake pans and line the bottoms with circles of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, cake flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar about 5 minutes until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the egg, and beat until fully incorporated.
- In a measuring cup, mix together the coffee (or water) and milk. With the mixer on low, add half of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Add the coffee and milk, and then add the remainder of the dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans (I used a scale for this) and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
Frosting recipe is from
• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 3½ – 4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted • ½ cup Nutella • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract • 2 tablespoons half-and-half, heavy cream or whole milk • pinch of salt
- Cream together butter and ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar at a time. After each cup of sugar has been added, add Nutella 1 tablespoon at a time, then add vanilla and then beat on high for about 20 seconds to lighten the frosting.
- Add half-and-half, one tablespoon at a time until the buttercream has reached a consistency where it will hold it’s shape. Add pinch of salt and whip on high for a final 20 seconds.
- Use immediately or cover and refrigerate up to three days. To use once refrigerated, slowly allow to reach room temperature and then beat on low speed until the buttercream is smooth before using.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at
Click here to get your copy of Cristina's cookbook, "Big Bowl of Love"