FOR THE BREAD PUDDING CUSTARD:
- 1-pound Italian bread
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (or espresso)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
FOR THE IRISH WHISKEY CARAMEL CREAM:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup bailey’s Irish creme
- 1 cup Irish whiskey
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
MAKE THE BREAD PUDDING CUSTARD:
1. Cut bread into cubes and allow to sit out for 30–45 minutes to dry out slightly (or place in oven at 250 degrees for approximately 15 minutes).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, sugars, cocoa, vanilla, and instant coffee.
3. Place bread cubes in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, sprinkling chocolate chips throughout.
4. Pour the custard mixture over the bread cubes and chocolate chips. Allow custard to soak into the bread cubes for at least 30 minutes before baking. This ensures that all of the cubes are moistened with the custard. When nearly ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Bake bread pudding in preheated oven for 35–45 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
MAKE THE IRISH WHISKEY CARAMEL CREAM:
1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and then stir in brown sugar. Once combined, slowly add the Irish crème and whiskey. Combine well.
2. Keep to a steady boil for 10–15 minutes to allow the alcohol and the liquid to reduce.
3. Stir in heavy whipping cream.
ASSEMBLE THE DESSERT:
1. When bread pudding comes out of oven, immediately pour hot cream caramel sauce over pudding so it can absorb sauce.