Debbie makes a chilled cucumber soup perfect for the summer weather.
Ingredients for the Tomato Water
- 1 ½ pounds very ripe tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
Ingredients for the Soup
- 4 cups English cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup tomato water, see recipe
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup green seedless grapes
- 2 white anchovy fillets
- 1 ½ tsp. sherry vinegar
- ½ cup blanched, slivered almonds
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp. fresh mint
- Salt to taste
- Fresh dill fronds, for garnish
- Small mint leaves, for garnish
- Cucumber, diced for garnish
- Radish, cut into matchsticks, for garnish
- Almonds, for garnish
- Extra-virgin olive oil for
Yield: 4 servings
For the Tomato Water:
1. Line a fine mesh strainer with 2 layers of cheese cloth.
2. Set it over a large bowl.
3. Pulse the tomatoes and salt until the tomatoes are roughly chopped.
4. Transfer to the lined strainer and set in fridge overnight.
5. Do not stir or press on the solids otherwise the tomato water will become cloudy.
For the Soup:
1. Blend all of the ingredients together in a food processor or blender until smooth.
2. Chill for 2 hours. Serve the soup garnished with dill, mint, cucumber, radish, almonds and a drizzle of olive oil.