Creator of "Preppy Kitchen," John Kanell is making a fun spring-themed sweet treat with homemade buttercream.
Prep Time 20 minutes Cook Time 15 minutes Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups fondant
- 8 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 drops orange food coloring
- 1 tsp dark sprinkles
- (Optional; Use in place of fondant chicks)
- Chocolate eggs with candy shell – about ½ inch wide (i.e. Hershey’s mini chocolate eggs, Cadbury mini chocolate eggs)
- 2 tsp cocoa powder mixed with 2-4 tsp vodka
"Chicky" Cupcakes - Home & Family
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Mix in all of the wet ingredients.
- Using a stand mixer slowly add in the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour into papered cupcake pan and bake at 350F for about 15 minutes.
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
- In a small bowl melt the cream and chocolate then set aside to cool.
- Cream the butter until light and fluffy
- Add the confectioners' sugar in while mixing and then add the cream in. Mix until smooth.
- Separate about a 1/4 of the buttercream into a bowl and beat with the room temperature melted chocolate. Add to a piping bag fitted with a 133 tip.
- Color the remaining mixture with green food coloring and add to a piping bag fitted with a 133 tip.
FOR THE CHICKS:
- Add orange food coloring to about 2 tbsp of the fondant and fold until mixed in. Roll out to an 1/8 inch thickness and cut into small diamonds. lightly impress a line across the short end of the diamond and fold to a right angle.
- Add yellow food coloring to about 1 3/4 cups of the fondant and fold until mixed in. Take about a teaspoon of the yellow fondant and roll into a sphere.
- Add two dark sprinkles to the head for the eyes then add the beak. You can brush a small amount of water onto any area that is not sticking.
- Pipe the grass using the green buttercream and a 133 tip. Pipe a nest on top using the chocolate buttercream and a 133 tip. Place two to three chicks in each nest and enjoy!
FOR THE SPECKLED CHOCOLATE EGGS:
(OPTIONAL: USE IN PLACE OF FONDANT CHICKS)
- Mix well: 2 tsp cocoa powder with 2-4 tsp vodka
- Dip a small brush into the mixture and flick onto your candy covered chocolate eggs.
- Allow to dry, then place in nest.